Andover DIVERSE (Diversity, Inclusion, Values, Respect, Support and Education) is a Division focused on advancing community-driven initiatives and engagement with the goal of building a more inclusive Andover.
The first order of business in this effort was to invest in a Diversity Audit; a process designed to gain an appreciation of the experiences of the Andover community where race, racism, equity, justice and inclusion are concerned.
To that end, the Town engaged the services of Consultant Richard Pinderhughes of Visions, Inc. and concurrently populated a DIVERSE Working Group of interested community volunteers whom, together, would work to steer this data gathering effort. To date this team has:
- Crafted and launched a community-wide survey
- Designed and launched a series of 24 community focus groups to engage in conversation about racism, equity, justice and inclusion with those wishing to voice their experiences
- Crafted a proposed structure and mission for a permanent Commission on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion which was successfully enabled by Andover’s Select Board
- Interview and appoint members of the Commission on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Receive the final report on Andover’s Diversity Audit
- Chart a course forward to make actionable progress on building a more diverse and inclusive community
- Assign/adequately resource the Andover DIVERSE Division with the staff support required to ensure sustainable forward momentum
RESOURCES TO CARE FOR OURSELVES & OTHERS
IN COMBATING WHITE SUPREMACY
Information & Guidance
- The Rise of Domestic Extremism in America (Washington Post)
- Imagining a World Without White Supremacy (Learning for Justice)
- White Supremacy Culture (Tema Okun)
Talking with Young Children
- The Horrific Mass Shooting in Buffalo: How to Talk with Young People (ADL)
- Talking to Young Children about Race & Racism (PBS)
- Reactions to Highly Stressful or Potentially Traumatic Events (Riverside Community Care)
- Talking to Children About Violence: Tips for Parents and Teachers (National Association for School Psychologists)
- How to Teach Kids about Taboo Topics (TED Talk)
For Allies to the Black Community
- Show Up: Guide to Bystander Intervention (Center for Urban Pedagogy)
- Why People of Color Need Spaces without White People (The Arrow)
- What White Colleagues Need to Understand (Learning for Justice)
News and Events
DEI Director Albert Pless
meets with seniors at the Robb Center March 9, 2022
Please mark your calendar for this upcoming event!
Meet Andover’s New Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.