Snow & Ice Maintenance
Plow and salt treat the roads, sidewalks, and town-owned parking lots. Please view our Snow and Ice S.O.P. for more information.
Declared Snow Emergency Parking Bans
When authorized by the Chief of Police or his designee, a Declared Snow Emergency Parking Ban will be in effect on all Town streets until the snow emergency has been lifted. Please view the Public Safety Page to check for Parking Bans. View the Storm Information Center for alerts, updates, and general storm information.
- During a snow emergency parking ban, there shall be NO PARKING at ANY TIME on ANY STREETS except by Fire, Police, Public Works, or any other Public Safety vehicles and/or Public Utility Repair vehicles.
- NO VEHICLE shall be parked or positioned in such a manner as to interfere with the snow removal or sanding operation.
- ANY VEHICLE IN VIOLATION OF THIS SECTION SHALL BE TICKETED AND WILL BE TOWED AT THE EXPENSE OF THE OWNER.
- Residents should take it upon themselves not to park on public ways if there is snow in the forecast.
Keep them clear
Clearing snow from hydrants and storm drains (catch basins) is important because it ensures that emergency responders have quick access to hydrants in case of a fire. It also helps prevent flooding by allowing water to flow freely through the drainage system. Residents can assist town crews by making sure hydrants and catch basins around their homes are clear of snow and ice. View our Catch Basin and Hydrant Locator Map to help identify them in your neighborhood.
- Why is my street always plowed last and what are the Town's priorities?
- Why is it that I see snowplows and sander trucks going past my house that are not plowing or sanding?
- Why does the snowplow driver fill up my driveway?
- How is the plowing of sidewalks prioritized?
- Who is responsible for clearing sidewalks in the downtown business district?
Check Travel Conditions
State-wide Traffic alerts: mass511.com
MBTA alerts: mbta.com/alerts
Massport/Logan Airport alerts: massport.com/massport
Check The Weather
Forecast information: weather.gov
Active weather warnings, watches, and advisories from the National Weather Service: https://alerts.weather.gov/cap/ma.php?x=1