Old Town Hall
Old Town Hall in downtown Andover is a historic venue for performing arts, community activities, and special events. The first and second levels are handicap accessible and fully air conditioned.
It is an accessible and affordable location for a wide range of activities. The possibilities are endless with a seating capacity of 176 for a sit-down dinner and 228 for cocktail and theater-style events.
Old Town Hall was built in 1858 for a total cost of $15,000. The building was originally constructed to accommodate the need for a large location in which to conduct Town business. Years ago there was a Post Office (just as today), a barbershop, lawyers’ offices, a courtroom, and a police station with holding cells in the basement.
The second floor function hall was designed to hold Town Meeting and other organizational meetings. In addition to parties and dances, political rallies and school graduations were once held in the Town House. A quarter of a century after the hall was built, an extension was added to the building. The 1882 renovation added anterooms, cooking facilities, running water, and many other amenities.
A second addition to the hall began in 1902. It was during this construction that the main lobby, the tile mosaic depicting the Andover Town Seal, and the two ornamental winding staircases were added. Following a $2 million renovation in 1989 the second floor hall once again became a popular meeting place for the residents of Andover and surrounding communities.