Zoning Board of Appeals
1/5/2023 - 6:30 pm (Regular Monthly Meeting, Select Board Conference Room, 3rd Floor, Town Offices, 36 Bartlet St.) THE FILING DEADLINE FOR 1/5/23 IS 12/12/22
*Meeting dates for the entire year can be found in the 'ZBA Filing Fees & Filing Deadlines 2022' under 'Resources' in the lower right side of this page.
Meetings are posted with the Town Clerk & online at least 48 hours in advance.
Please refer to the official public meeting notice for the date, time and location of each meeting, as they are subject to change.
- 1st Thursday of every month
- 6:30 p.m.
- Select Board Conference Room, 3rd Floor, Town Offices, 36 Bartlet Street, Andover
- Date, Time and Location are subject to change
- Verify Public Meeting Notice posted online & at Town Clerk's Office
- View Archived ZBA Meeting Videos
MEETING PARTICIPATION GUIDELINES:
- You must state your name and address as part of the public hearing process.
- During a pubic hearing, the Chair will invite the public to ask questions, make comments & voice concern, opposition or support. If another member of the public has asked the same question or made the same comment, we respectfully request that you assist the ZBA in running an efficient meeting by refraining from repeating what has already been said.
- VIEW LIVE on Andover TV's live stream: https://andover.vod.castus.tv/vod/?live=ch3&nav=live
- Watch on Comcast Channel 22* or Verizon Channel 45*
- *Channels are subject to change based on the broadcasters' schedule. Please verify on the broadcasters' channel the night of the meeting for the most accurate information.
- Check Andover TV, Verizon & Comcast schedules for replay days & times
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
Zoning Board Decisions
Per Mass. General Law Chapter 40A, Section 11, decisions are recorded at the Northern Essex Registry of Deeds and can be found here: Northern Essex Registry of Deeds
Members are appointed by the Board of Selectmen to three-year terms. Five regular members and four associate members serve without pay.
About the Board
The Andover Zoning Board of Appeals is authorized to function under the General Laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Chapters 40A and 40B, as well as the Andover Zoning Bylaw (Article VIII). The Board issues special permits, grants variances and comprehensive permits, and hears appeals from decisions of the Building Commissioner or other administrative officer.
Public hearings of the Board are held as the result of applications in the following areas:
- By a person aggrieved by the decision of the Building Inspector or other administrative officer (Massachusetts General Law, Chapter 40A, Section 13).
- For a Comprehensive Permit pursuant to M.G.L. Chapter 40B to construct affordable housing within the Town of Andover.
- For a special permit under the Zoning Bylaw.
- For a variance from the requirements of the Zoning Bylaw.
Prior to the public hearings, plans and drawings are reviewed, legal advertisements are published and abutters are notified as required by state law. The public hearings are conducted by the Chair in conformity with the Board of Appeals Rules and Regulations. The Board may conduct a site view when necessary. Following the hearings, a duly posted public deliberation meeting is conducted. During deliberation meetings, the Board discusses the petitions and, based on any site views and the evidence presented at the hearing, a vote is taken and a member volunteers to draft a decision. The draft decision is voted on at the following month's meeting, signed by the Chair and filed with the Town Clerk. Once the decision is filed with the Town Clerk, the statutory 20-day appeal period commences, the applicant / petitioner receives a copy of the decision and the abutters are notified of the decision. Following the conclusion of the appeal period, or any appeal, the decision is recorded at the Essex North Registry of Deeds.
(see Quick Links below)